Re: Mould and Deckle

My experience with window screen is that the holes are too large and the
screen does not hold the tautness over time.  I would suggest that you buy
screen from either Lee MacDonalds 617-242-2505 or Carriage House Paper -
718-599-7857.  If your looking for a light weight screen - they have a
plastic like screen material called poly.... (some one help, can't think of
the name off the top of my head and no catalogues to reference by).  It's
pretty good and when it does loosen a bit, it can be tightened again by
using a hair dryer.  Brass of course, is the best one can buy though...

Colette Vosberg

>On Mon, 12 Aug 1997 22:17:21 +0000 mephisto@global.co.za writes:
>>  It also saves the problems
>>incurred in trying to stretch something like fibreglass window screen
>>really taut - I tried that too and was torn all over my hands from
>>the sharp litttle edges.
>
>I did accomplish making the fiberglass screen very taut by cutting a
>dovetail groove (wider at the bottom than at the surface) into the top
>side of the mould on all four boards. Using a tool for window screens I
>was able to roll vinyl screen spline into the grooves, pulling the screen
>taut. Nothing to rust and it left a pretty flush surface on top--no
>nails, staples, or excess material. I chose window screen because it is
>well suited to this technique, whereas brass lacks the flexibility. I
>guess my main concern is whether the holes are too large (I suppose it
>depends on the type of pulp) and now the issue of whether or not pulp
>will, as Jill claims, slide off. BTW, what is the address,or #, of
>McMaster Carr. Are there other good sources for brass screen?
>
>Thanks all!
>
>David Kern
>dkern@juno.com

Colette Johnson-Vosberg