Re: gauffering?

Gauffered edges are those that are decorated, usually over gilt, with a
heated pointille tool to create a pattern in the edges. I have not
attempted this  (far too advanced for my meager talents), but have seen
numerous books from the mid 19th c back that have gauffered edges.
It is quite attractive when done well.

Best

Chris Hagen