rerebacking

I've a question for the conserve/repair/restore folks.  I'm sure
you've all encountered books that have been rebacked and again lost
their boards - at least once if not twice or more.  The  answer,
given a decision to reattach the boards, is to rerereback using
leather that will only fall apart again in ( ? ) years or use the
Japanese paper/tacket technique, which isn't suited for marginal
leather.

It occurs to me that, given the approval of those responsible for
making the decision, the rebacking could be done with a Japanese
paper/linen lamination used just as though it were leather.  Wouldn't
this be more likely to last and therefore less damaging to what is
left?  Or am I missing something . . . what do you think?

Su
_
Su Carter
Williamsburg, VA, USA