Re: Copiers

>irises, cactuses, dye dubs- what are they???

Irises are gorgeous. You get the closest thing to actual printed color and
can print on many different surfaces...watercolor paper, acetate, mylar,
fabric (If the output place is as adventurous as you are). It's a
water-based, inkjet print, so it's a good idea to fix it or have it coated
by the output place....OR you can work over it. They are referred to as
continuous tone prints, so even though they are just 300 dpi, the color is
smooth with no banding in gradations. These are pretty pricey though.

Fieries are color printouts from a laser printer. They are probably more
stable as far as fading, but the color isn't as true as an iris is. I have
noticed a tendency for the blues to go a little black and the greens to bo
too blue. But every fiery printer will be different

Cactuses are low resolution (200dpi) used mostly for large -- poster-size
-- work but I have used them for little books when the solution called for
a grainy printout. Their color quality can be poor, due partly to that
large dot size...but on the other hand, they sort of have a neat
pointillistic quality to them.

Dye Subs are a method of printing based usually on RGB (the others print
out best when the image is CYMK). These type of prints are frequently used
by photographers because they produce a clean and smooth transition of
color and are sharper than irises (but I think only slightly really--I have
noticed no great difference) and fieries. Fieries can't come close to what
irises and dye subs look like. Dye Subs don't have the variety of printable
surfaces that irises have, however. They must be printed onto treated
dyesublimation paper

Remember, all these machines are only as good as thier calibration and if
you have a job that's really super important (and aren't they all,
especially when you have to spend a good deal of money on some of these
methods) it is best to bring your disk into the output place and look at
the file on thier machine to see how it looks...generally, the output
service has their monitors calibrated to their printers, so seeing it there
gives you a better idea of what the printed piece will look like.

And, again, it depends on what look you're after. After you decide on that,
it's a matter of the longevity of these methods and how much that depends
to you.

I hope this gives you a little look into these methods...it's just the tip
of the iceberg on these, really.

Jennifer