Re: Decorating Paper

Hmm...actually, I meant to cut that paragraph off entirely.  It's on the
full method for making faux stone finish.  Since I sent part of it,
though, I'd better send it all.  Apologies for the confusion.

  First, underpaint if you wish (often this is in one of the mottling
colors you're about to use), then, as I said,
>Take two or three relatively thick paints in the colors you want (only
use waterbased paint for this) and a large palette, or paper plate.  Lay
down the paint in a spiral pattern, one color at a time, so that the
spirals just touch, but are not on top of each other.  Then sprinkle on
a spreading agent (this will depend on the particular kind of paint
you're using) and a thinner (water, that is).  Tilt the palette around
to get a slight mixing of the colors (not a blending, a confusion). Lay
down the sponge lightly on the surface, so it picks up paint only on its
high points, and not much there.  Then very gently dab the sponge on
your page, pick it up straight, dab again at a different angle, etc.
Don't do too much in one spot; lighter coverage is better.  Once the
surface is mottled you can apply veining if you're really into faux
stone; that's best done by drybrushing with a fairly stiff feather -
about 2-3 inches of feather's edge - in a contrasting color, usually a
neutral.

Okay, that was fairly far from the subject, and kinda odd for book arts
listserve, but what the hell.  I do have a book whose endpapers are faux
marble, as a pun on marbled paper, but it doesn't normally fit in too
well.  But, as I said, a simplified version of the technique makes a
good modeling/texturing for a page background.