crossed binding

I was looking at the exhibition "Paperbound" and in Monique Lalliers
binders ststement she mentions the crossed binding technique. I'd not heard
of this technique and would be interested in finding out more about it.
Thanks in anticipation
Gail

     /             Hands                                   /
   /                   on                                   /
                         /
 /                       Paper                          /