Re: rerebacking

Dear Su,

Bill Minter has used and talked about using linen in lieu of leather when
rebacking leather bound books, and has had good luck with it.

I prefer using Tim Barrett's paper case paper.  This is a flax/cotton blend
which is thick, very strong, dyes well, and can be tied up over cords if it
is well dampened beforehand.

It blends well with leather through about the end of the 18th century.
After that time, some of the currying/finishing techniques used by leather
manufacturers and binders are difficult to match with this paper.

After dyeing the paper, I generally apply a thin gelatine surface size and
burnish it with a bone folder as it dries, until I am satisfied with that
the surface texture of the paper will blend well with the original leather.

Hope this helps.
Jack

>Date:    Sat, 16 Aug 1997 16:09:26 -0400
>From:    Su Carter <scarter@WIDOMAKER.COM>
>Subject: rerebacking
>
>I've a question for the conserve/repair/restore folks.

(snip)

>It occurs to me that, given the approval of those responsible for
>making the decision, the rebacking could be done with a Japanese
>paper/linen lamination used just as though it were leather.  Wouldn't
>this be more likely to last and therefore less damaging to what is
>left?  Or am I missing something . . . what do you think?
>
>Su
>_
>Su Carter
>Williamsburg, VA, USA