[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: gauffering and edge gilding?
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: gauffering and edge gilding?
- From: "Rodney Fry 01276 64566 x4151; GNET *821" <rod.fry@GECM.COM>
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:37:41 +0000
- Message-Id: <199708181238.FAA15604@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
You sent 16 Aug:
>I saw reference to gauffering in an old post here. Can some
>kind soul please tell me what this means or in which book I'd
>find reference to it?
>Thank you VERY much!
In reply to both queries on edge gilding and gauffering, the following two
books will be found excellent "teachers":
Mitchell, J " A Craftsman's Guide to Edge Decoration", The Standing Press,
1993, [ISBN 0 952 1626 0 1].
The last two chapters give a description with photographs of
the techniques for colour under gold and fore-edge painting.
I posted this earlier this year to answer a similar query. There are plenty of
photos and detailed practical notes in the book. It is a hobby with me, but
I have attended John Mitchell's occasional practical courses. Once you have
completed the edge gilding (which I find easier than decoration on leather!)
simple gauffering is relatively straightforward with pattern tools, but
practice is what is required to achieve consistency and perfection, on books of