Drop Spine Box

Thanks to all who answered my previous question about "clamshell boxes."
I have two more questions (sorry if this is all elementary).
1) I'm designing a drop spine box to hold about 15-20 14X17" acetate
pages with screwposts. I'm sure I need to rivet the part that holds the
screwposts to the spline. Is there a special tool for that? Would a
shoemaker or luggage repair place be able to do that?
2) What thickness binders board should I use? (The pages will contain a
lot of double weight photographic paper).

Thanks in advance!!! Any other hints??

David Kern
dkern@juno.com