Gold "Embossing" classes

>Does anyone know anyone who teaches gold embossing onto leather in the NYC
>area?

The two basic methods for indenting an image in gold on a book cover are
tooling and stamping. Tooling is done by hand with brass finishing tools and
gold leaf or foil. Stamping is done with a heated press using type or
photoengraved dies.

I will teach hot foil stamping at the Center for Book Arts in October.
Carolyn Chadwick will teach an introduction to hand tooling in November.
Course descriptions follow below. In addition, I am including a brief
listing of other CBA Fall classes and workshops. Full descriptions are at:

http://www.pipeline.com/~minsky/cbaclass.htm

I also give private lessons in binding and finishing techniques. If you wish
to see examples of my tooling and stamping, turn your browser to:

http://minsky.com/25.htm  for an example of stamping
http://minsky.com/12.htm  for an example of blind tooling (no gold)
http://minsky.com/1.htm   for an example of gold tooling
http://minsky.com/2.htm   for an example of gold tooling with leather onlay

Hot Stamping Press Workshop

     This press is used to title book covers or boxes with either a blind
embossing or with a variety of colored foils.
     Learn the correct and safe way to use the Kensol 3-ton press. On the
first night, students will become familiar
     with machine, learn how to set-up and trouble shoot. For the second
meeting students should bring their own
     plate and something to be stamped. Please note that students will have
to pay for their own plates ($25 to $45
     depending on size). Each participant will be placed on the list of
those authorized to use the press.

     Richard Minsky, instructor
     October 15 & 22; 2 weeks, 2 sessions
     Wednesday evenings; 6 to 9 pm
     $100 / CBA members $75

Tooling: Lines in Blind and Gold

     This workshop is an introduction to gold and blind tooling, also known
as finishing. After a brief discussion of
     traditional techniques, students will practice making lines, both blind
and gold, on plaquettes of goatskin. The
     use of foils and gold leaf will be discussed. Student must purchase a
single line pallet for the workshop and
     should call the Center for details.

     Carolyn Chadwick, instructor
     Saturday, November 1; 10 am to 4 pm
     $115 / CBA members $90

Bookbinding Weeknights

     Women & The Artist Book September 11 - December 11 (Thurs nites)
     Bookbinding I September 15 - December 1 (Mon nites)
     Radical Bookworks September 16 - December 2 (Tues nites)
     Bookbinding I September 16 - December 2 (Tues nites)
     Bookbinding III September 17 - December 10 (Weds nites)
     Bookbinding II September 18 - December 11 (Thurs nites)

     Bookbinding Weekends

     Presentation Portfolio September 13 & 14
     Beaded Bindings September 20 & 21
     Bookbinding I Intensive September 27 & 28
     Wearable Books October 4 & 5
     Sewn Board Bindings October 4 & 5
     Thinking Editions October 18 & 19
     The Photograph Album October 18 & 19
     Decorative Boxes October 25 & 26
     Carousel Books October 25 & 26
     Single Leaves November 1 & 2
     Tunnel Books November 8 & 9
     Pamphlets November 8 & 9
     The Slipcase November 15 & 16
     Variations of the Accordion November 21 (Friday only)
     Alternative Book Structures November 22 & 23
     Container/Content December 6 & 7
     Eight & a half by Eleven December 6 (Saturday only)

     Printing Weeknights

     Typography for Book Artists September 11 - 25 (Thurs nites)
     Art of the Book September 16 - December 2 (Tues nites)
     Books in the 20th Century September 17 - October 22 (Weds nites)
     Letterpress I October 9 - November 20 (Thurs nites)

     Printing Weekends

     Large Scale Paper & Print September 20 & 21
     Fine Stationery October 18 & 19
     Electronic Letterpress October 25 & 26
     Paper Lithography October 25 & 26
     Thrill of the Chase November 1 & 2
     Beginning Letterpress Intensive November 7, 8 & 9 (Fri - Sun)
     Miniature Book Wknd November 14, 15 & 16 (Fri - Sun)
     Linoleum Block Printing November 22 & 23
     Holiday Cards December 6
     Silk Aquatints December 6 & 7

     Papermaking

     Large Scale Paper & Print September 20 & 21
     Intro to Papermaking October 4 & 5
     Decorative Paper November 8 & 9

     Related Workshops

     Guillotine Demonstration September 27 (Saturday only)
     Papercutting September 27 (Saturday only)
     Letterpress Diecutting September 27 (Saturday only)
     Paste Paper Techniques October 3 (Friday only)
     Fundamentals of Book Design October 4 & 5
     Hot Stamping Press Wrkshp October 15 & 22 (Weds nites)
     Metropolitan Museum Tour October 24 (Friday only)
     Gold Tooling November 1 (Saturday only)
     Headbands November 15 (Saturday only)
     Intro to Calligraphy November 22 & 23

                                  Call (212) 460-9768 to register today !