Gauffering/Gilding Page Edges

I have read with interest the threads on gilding the edges of
pages.  Someone very kindly recommended two books on this
subject (_A Craftsman's Guide to Edge Decoration_ and _An
Introduction to Gold Finishing_, both by J. Mitchell).

Can anyone please give me an idea of how complicated this
process is (i. e., how difficult it would be to master)?  I
want to make a few books as a token of thanks for people who
have very kindly helped me through a difficult time, and want
them to be as elegant as possible.  Gilded page edges would
greatly enhance them -- but only if I did it correctly.  I am
therefore trying to determine whether or not gilding the page
edges would be a realistic goal.

Thank you _VERY_ much for any help you can provide.

Virginia