Re: Gauffering/Gilding Page Edges

I too have seen one example of a book with a fore-edge painting. It was
wonderful,and I'm sure it was done in the way you suggest. Why not try it
out on an old text book or other commercial book instead of maybe spoiling
one of your own. The only problem I can see is actually getting the pages
to fan evenly.
I believe these books were done years ago when people had time to do things
by hand.

       ==============================
     /             Hands                                   /
   /                   on                                   /
                         /
 /                       Paper                          /
/============================/

----------
> From: G. B. McC <GGMCCOR@AOL.COM>
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: Gauffering/Gilding Page Edges
> Date: Sunday, August 24, 1997 7:12 AM
>
> I don't know if that would be the correct subject heading for my
question,
> and this may have been covered before (I'm brand new here) but here goes;
>
> Long ago, I saw a display of several books that looked like they had
gilded
> edges.  It was a lovely embellishment to the tooled leather books, but
the
> amazing thing was that when the books were opened and the pages were
offset
> against each other a picture appeared on the very edges of the pages.
Each