Shoe Polish/leather dressing

 <<
  Subject: shoe polish

  I can almost hear the collective, anguished intake of breath, but here
goes.
  I have an old book covered with black leather. The leather is badly scuffed
  from having rubbed against its neighbors as it was repeatedly removed and
  replaced on its bookshelf. Would it be a mistake to use black shoe polish
  spiff it up? >>

 I can't speak for shoe polish, but I can tell you that there is a French
 product specifically for this purpose: it is called "Cire Wax" and is
 available in several tinted versions, including black. It is a neutral ph
 microcristalline wax containing fungicides and insecticides, and when the
 leather wax dressing is applied with a soft cloth the tint helps to
camoflage
 scuff marks and scratches.  The 100cm tubes are $13 each plus postage, and
 come in black, white, red, bordeaux, dark brown and light brown. A clear
 version for waxing without tinting is $9; from Bookbinder's Warehouse e-mail
 KarenC5071@aol.com

 Regards, Karen/BBW