Short-grain 8.5x11" paper

Several people have very kindly suggested that I just order 11x17" paper
and have it cut in half to make 11x17". However, others say that
short-grain paper jams the laserjet printer.

If short grain paper jams the laserjet printer COULD I just use regular
8.5x11" paper (sideways) for my journals?

I am so confused! Thankyou sooooooooooooooooo much.

                                        Julie