Adhesives for bookbinding

                    WHEAT STARCH PASTE
                       from: vbsauer

The book _Cover to Cover_ (by Shereen La Plantz) gives the
following recipe for making archival wheat starch paste in a
microwave:

   1 tablespoon wheat starch (available at art supply stores)
   5 tablespoons distilled water

   1.  Empty wheat starch into microwave-safe bowl and add
       distilled water.
   2.  Place in microwave oven and cook on high setting for
       25-30 seconds.
   3.  Remove and stir thoroughly.
   4.  Microwave again on high setting for another 25-30
       seconds.
   5.  Remove and stir again.
   6.  Repeat steps 2-5 for another 2-3 minutes (varies with
       power of microwave unit).
   7.  Let paste ttand for 2-3 minutes to cook and thicken.
   8.  Strain.
   Note:  Mine always gets very thick this way, so I add more
          water after step 7.  then I allow it to cool
          another 15-20 minutes and usually have to add more
          water.  Then I strain it.  Use an old nylon
          stocking, a piece of organza, or several layers of
          cheesecloth for straining.

As the last remaining American without a microwave, am I
correct in assuming that this can instead be made as one
would standard wheat paste (placing starch in saucepan,
gradually adding water while vigorously stirring to break up
lumps, cooking over low flame until clear, stirring
constantly, and then removing from heat and stirring until
well blended)?

from: alphabeth

That area is also where you will find the wheat starch for
making paste (use the microwave recipe in C2C). If you add
10% PVA to it, it will keep the bugs out. This paste is
archival, reversibile and dries invisible.very important of
you are a pasting slob like me! It dries much slower than PVA
which gives you time to fiddle with things, but can be
frustrating if you are in a hurry to get on to the next step.

Mix flour and sugar in a saucepan. Gradually add water,
stirring vigorously to break up lumps.  Cook over low heat
until clear, stirring constantly.  Remove from stove and stir
until well blended.
I have read that it is advisable to add PVA glue to wheat starch paste to
prevent bugs.

Am I correct in assuming that the glue is added when ready to apply
(rather than when making the wheat paste)?

And does anyone know whether or not the water ratio (consistency of the
paste) needs to be modified if adding the glue?

Thank you very much for any information you have on this.

Virginia