Re: Drills for 4-hole stab bindings

My favorite tool for thick stab bindings is an old fashioned, egg beater like,
hand drill. They are still available in hardware stores. I have seen some made
by Stanley as well as futuristic looking take-offs. I use very small drill
bits; 1/32. 1/16 & 3/32 work well. I clamp the book with electricians clamps
from Sears (also avail. in hardware stores) . You can work at any speed you
like and the drill leaves only a very small excess at the exit point which is
easily smoothed with a bone folder. I give many Binding workshops for children
(of all ages) and have great success and lots of fun with these tools.

Mike Kaylor
Washington College