Re: Bookplates

When I had a commissioned bookplate printed (letterpress by Pamela Barrie of
Green Windows Press) I followed the time-honored route of no adhesive on the
back. I had noticed the plates in 18th century books I've seen have stuck
quite well, so I use a wheat starch paste to put them in my books. It is time
consuming but you can speed up the pasting (and avoid brush marks & too much
paste) by "painting" a sheet of glass with the paste, laying the plates on
the paste and then lifting  by slipping a bone folder or palette knife under
them. If it's not too dry, I can lay 4 or 5 plates down at once and work at a
leisurely pace. After putting them in the book (on the pastedown) I give them
a light burnish through paper & slip in a piece of waxed paper, close the
book, and put it face down to dry overnight (I add no additional weight other
than the text block).

If you can find it, I recommend you read "Nothing, or the Bookplate" by
Edward Gordon Craig, London, Chatto & Windus, 1925 (reprinted by J. M. Dent &
Sons, 1931). His "Last Trifles" (there are no chapters in this "nothing"
book, only parts called trifles) gives a delightful description of pasting in
bookplates. BTW, Craig lived on making bookplates during his sojourn with
Isadora Duncan.

Regards,

R. Williams