Re: Place to start...?

If I wanted to make inexpensive, easy books with pockets I would do an
accordian fold book. Diane Maurer's book "Marbling" has instructions for
several projects, including an accordian fold book. One thing you can do
is to double the paper lengthwise, then make slits along the vertical
folds, alternating sides, and folding those down napkin-style to create
pockets. The pockets can then be used for coupons, small objects, and so on.

The covers of the book are usually quite thin and easy to work with, and
are tied with ribbon or string, and can be decorated with beads, buttons,
and so on.

Have fun!
Clara Keyes