Folded Paper Books

I have been asked to share this technique.  Although they
make wonderful favors or tuck-in gifts, it is embarrassing to
share this on a bookmaking list.

For the project described, I would still be more likely to
make accordian books, using hard covers and ribbons.
However, the folded paper booklets are quite charming -- and,
as previously stated, make wonderful tuck-in gifts or favors.

                   FOLDED PAPER BOOKLET
Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer

This simple little six-page booklet is easy and inexpensive
to make, and can provide a surprisingly thoughtful and
elegant favor or little gift.  It is also nice to enclose
with a greeting card (or to send instead of one).

Althought the directions appear convoluted in print, once you
try to follow along with a piece of paper, it should all
become crystal clear.

                      MATERIALS NEEDED
Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer

Good quality paper (e. g., 8 1/2 x 11-inch, or 4 x 8-inch)
X-Acto knife
Glue
Scissors
Colored cardstock (for book "cover")
Metallic gold thread (or color of your choice)
1/2-inch wide WonderTape (or similar product)
Metallic gold embossing powder (or color of choice)
Heat gun (or other object to set powder)
Metallic gold pen (or color of your choice)

                          PROCEDURE
Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer

                         FOLD PAPER
(can use a piece of scrap paper same size as actual sheets)
Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer

--  Fold paper in half lengthwise:
     _______
    |   |f  |
    |   |o  |
    |   |l  |
    |___|d__|

--  Fold in half crosswise (so that paper is divided into
    quarters):
     ____________
    |            |
    |            |
    |----fold----|
    |            |
    |____________|

--  Fold in half crosswise a second time (so that paper is
    divided into eighths):
     ____________
    |            |
    |----fold----|
    |____________|

--  Open sheet of paper.  It should now be divided into eight
    small rectangles:
     _______________
    |   |   |   |   |
    |___|___|___|___|
    |   |   |   |   |
    |___|___|___|___|

--  Using an X-Acto knife, cut a lengthwise slit along center
    fold line (_JUST_ between middle two pairs of
    rectangles):
     _______________
    |   |   |   |   |
    |---=========---| side of
    |   |   |   |   |  paper
    |___|___|___|___|
    long side of paper

--  Re-fold in half lengthwise:
     _______________
    |   |   |   |   |
    |___|___|___|___|          _______________
    |   |   |   |   |         |   |   |   |   |
    |___|___|___|___|         |___|___|___|___|

--  Poke the folds from each of the two center sections
    outward.  If you look at it from above, it should
    look approximately like this:
               one of two folded center squares
                              /\
                            /    \
    folded left square======      ======folded right square
                            \    /
                              \/
              other of two folded center squares

--  "Close" the center part (which you just opened), so that
    the top view resembles a large plus sign:

    ----+----

--  Each of the four segments of the "plus sign" will be
    comprised of two of the eight rectangles from the folded
    sheet of paper.  (The fold will be along the long side of
    two of the rectangles, and along the short side of the
    other two.)

--  Close the "plus sign" by folding each of the folded
    rectangles in the same direction to make a book.
    .  There will be a front cover, a back cover, and six
       inside pages.
    .  Two of the pages will have a fold along the top edge,
       and two will have a fold along the side.

--  Beginning with the front cover, and ending with the back
    cover, mark each page sequentially (one through eight).

--  Unfold the paper.

              DECIDE HOW TO DECORATE THE PAGES
Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer

--  You can now see how the book will be folded:
    .  Page 1 will be the front cover.
    .  If you are only going to write on one side of each
       piece of paper, your writing areas will be pages 3, 5,
       and 7.  (If writing on both sides, your writing areas
       will be pages 2 - 7.)
    .  Page 8 will be the back cover.
    .  If you are going to print/decorate the pages before
       assembling the book (which most people find the
       easiest way to proceed), note that page 7 (or, pages 6
       and 7, if writing on both sides) is upside down, so
       that you will have to turn the paper before decorating
       that page.

--  Using this as a gauge, decide how to decorate the book.
    .  Short stories for children
    .  Poem(s)/inspirational verse(s)
    .  An overview of the school year, vacation, or whatever
       (either for the recipient, grandparents, et cetera)
    .  Greetings (e. g., for holiday favors, each guest's
       name on the cover, and a message inside about sharing
       the holiday/occasion with family and friends)
    .  Thoughts (e. g., for a wedding or anniversary favors,
       the couples' names and wedding date on the cover, and
       one word on each page:  Love, Friendship, Trust,
       Faith, Courage, Promise).  Some people have followed
       the same procedure, using two languages ... e. g., the
       word in English on one page, and in Chinese on the
       facing page.
    .  Wishes (e. g., get well) ... heartfelt wishes, Bible
       quotations, or other warm messages to convey.

--  Decide how you want to print and decorate the booklets:
    .  They can be handwritten (e. g., using metallic gold
       ink for holiday favors).
    .  They can be made by printing the text to correct size,
       cutting it out, and gluing it onto the respective
       pages.
    .  They can be made by printing with a word processor,
       either onto each booklet, or onto a sample sheet which
       is then photocopied onto the pages for each book:
       -  You can set tabs in your word processing program to
          write text on pages 3, 5, and 7 (or, pages 2 - 7,
          if writing on both sides of each page).  Note that
          page 7 (or, pages 6 and 7, if writing on both
          sides) will be upside down.  This can be
          accomodated by either printing one section (e.  g.,
          pages 3 and 5), and re-feeding the page facing the
          opposite direction.
      -   If using a photocopier (instead of individually
          printing each page), you can print each page
          separately, and then combine them on the copier.
   .  If you are artistic, each page can be enhanced with
      rubber stamping.

                      MAKE THE BOOKLETS
Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer

--  After finalizing your dimensions and theme, print the
    booklets.

--  Fold the booklets (as described above).

--  Cut colored cardstock the same size as the "book" pages.

--  Glue onto book for cover.

--  Attach 1/2-inch wide WonderTape (or similar product) to
    spine area of book.

--  Dip tape in metallic gold embossing powder.

--  Tie thin metallic gold around spine area of book (i. e.,
    between pages 4 and 5, and around the outer spine area).
    .  If the books will be given as favors, make loop at top
       for hanger.
    .  Leave knot in outer spine area (where it will be
       hidden by spine).

--  Heat.  (Although a heat gun is traditional for this, many
    people have reported great success using toaster ovens,
    irons, et cetera.  Just take precautions suitable for any
    flammable material, and make certain not to leave it
    unattended.)

--  Decorate book covers (e. g., name of each guest for
    holiday favors, or couples's names and wedding date for
    reception favors).

Copyright (c) 1995  Virginia B. Sauer