Re: Copyright Laws

Since Virginia made her reply "public", I will too.

I've gone back and read the public messages and I still can't see why
so many feathers have been ruffled.  I'm sorry that Julie and Virginia
have chosen to withdraw their public sharing of ideas, and hope that
with a small passage of time outlooks will change.

Virginia,

I'm sorry you felt you were being specificly attacked, rather than
generally referred to.  I'm not sure I can understand why you felt that
way, but I believe that you do.  As a disinterested third party I did
not read Mona's message the way you did, and I think my way is just as
valid.

As I have been looking over the messages in the archive, I'm becoming
even more confused about this, but I can feel an element of surprise in
Mona's message.  Hopefully I can explain why:

On Sunday you (Virginia) posted a recipe from a copyrighted book (1),
without indicating you were doing so with permission.  One day later
you post a recipe for paste, without giving or explicitly claiming
credit(2).  When you then turn around a mere three days later and
prominently display copyrights for your description of an old and well
known process (3), that is surprising.  Perhaps you can afford to be
generous and understand that there might have been an element of
surprise in Mona's post.  If you (and Julia and whomever else) choose
to be offended, that is your choice.  But it is a choice.  You are free
to change it at any time.  I hope you will.

-Doug

(1) - Cut-n-paste from the archive:
                Wheat starch paste
                Virginia B. Sauer (vsauer@JUNO.COM)
                Sun, 31 Aug 1997 09:33:45 EDT
                The book _Cover to Cover_ (by Shereen La Plantz) gives
                the following recipe for making archival wheat starch
                paste in a microwave:

(2) - Cut-n-paste from the archive:
                Re: Paste Paper
                Virginia B. Sauer (vsauer@JUNO.COM)
                Mon, 1 Sep 1997 09:52:49 EDT
                Although more expensive than other recipes, using
                methyl cellulose will reportedly make the product
                suitable for archival purposes (which I assume is your
                goal). It is available at art supply stores. Rice
                starch, et cetera, can be substituted for less
                expensive (albeit non-archival) variations. (So can
                flour or wallpaper paste, but the result is less
                smooth.)
                To make 1 pint (2 cups) of paste:

(3) - Cut-n-paste from the archive:
                Folded Paper Books