Re: Waxing Handmade Paper?

In addition to Jim's very valid comments I might want to add some other
thoughts.

1) Try to do this to the paper before you cover the book. Just after the
sheets have dried from being made is fine. You can also add the
methyllcellulose mixture (sizing) to the pulp slurry as you make it up.
This will help reduce the need to size afterwards. A good substitute for
methyllcellulose is gelatin (you can get it at supermarkets). Yes, bugs
might eat it, but it has a very long proven history in papermaking. It's
also naturally alkaline.

To be write-able the paper will need to be sized anyway, otherwise the inks
will bleed.

2) You can also press the sheets. This will help set the fibers down and
prevent the "hairiness" you mention. If you do it when they are almost dry
/ dry to the touch (they'll still have a good deal of residual moisture)
they won't get shiny. Pressing while still damp or placing wax paper over
them will cause shininess too.

Peter

At 08:10 AM 9/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Missy...
>

>Take your standard-thickness methylcell adhesive, and thin it down with
>distilled water about 7:1.  Apply with a hake or other soft brush, allow
>to dry.  This _may_ cause the boards of the book to warp a bit, since
>you've increased the strength of the paper on one side of the cover, but
>you can compensate by either adding an additional paste-down paper on the
>other side, or by applying the methylcell adhesive there, too.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Jim
>  James T. Downey
>
>jdowney@mail.coin.missouri.edu
>
>An amazing new Fiber Arts exhibit online at
>        www.legacyart.com/
>

>>     In schoen gebunden Buechern blaettert man gern.     <<

Peter D. Verheyen   <wk> 315.443.9937      <fax> 315.443.9510
<Email>                        mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
<Webmaster>                http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>       mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@listserv.syr.edu