That little folded book

Interested to see so many people talking about that book structure.  I
learned it from Sas Colby at my first-ever (I haven't attended many yet!)
book arts workshop.  She advocates it as a format that's easy enough that
people can concentrate on being expressive rather than getting a difficult
structure right.  One of the possible goals...

I use it, and simple pamphlet stitch, and an intro to pop-ups, when I
teach the very simple bookarts workshops I am at all "qualified" to teach
- with parents and kids (in any combination) at the Art museum, and with
language arts teachers at our university's National Writing Project
workshops.  We use scissors, less precise but easier.  On the other hand,
I teach a sequence of folds which makes the folding itself more precise
than some I have seen.  In a pinch, when talking that structure up with
someone, I've actually _torn_ the paper.  Sloppy, but for a maquette it's
fine.

The first thing I do in a book arts workshop for language arts teachers is
write on the board:

        Books empower:
                ideas
                words
                texts
                people

They know *reading* books empowers - they haven't thought about *making*
books empowering, but it's not hard to convince them as they think about
kids learning to read and write (and draw). I see that I left out
empowering pictures, unless we want to think of them as texts too. I
suppose that's because I'm a poet much longer than I am a book artist.
Obviously I have to change that list.

Anyhoo.  People seem to find my little workshops delightful, and I hope
some of them teach their students.  Making a book has this magical way of
dignifying the work which many of us (even me!) erroneously call "the
contents that are put in the book."

Sas also teaches (and I pass on) that a book uses space/time in a way
which makes it a kind of performance.  That's a mind-opening idea for
language arts teachers, as it was for me.

I love that ubiquitous book form, because it's easy, because you can
scribble a light-hearted scribble all over a page and when you fold it
into a book it's somehow SOMETHING, because it hosts pop-ups easily,
because you can do it on a xerox machine or a computer and make an edition
easily, because if you want to get more daring you can go INSIDE, behind,
into the hidden parts (thereby raising questions about what's "book" and
what's "structure" which may be old hat to book artists but are new and
radical to most folks).

BTW, I first heard the "hotdog and hamburger" ideas this past spring when
I taught it to teachers for the third or fourth time.  Maybe a new bit of
teacher folklore.  Added to the "valleys and mountains" vocabulary of
origami it's really useful and also oddly funny.

Fold on!

                     _________
|  Kerman  |   (Mayapple Press(/(
   \ ?? /       http://www.cris.com/~Jkerman