Re: watercolor question

Dear Jennifer:
I have a couple of suggestions for you:
1. diluted (with distilled water) matte medium can be sprayed over your
paper. I use one of those pump atomizers to get a fine even spray. Multiple
layers can be applied if needed.
2. you could use washes of acrylic paint instead of or in addition to your
watercolor work. Heavily diluted acrylic paint dosn't have the plastic
appearance of regular acrylics. They can now be purchased as liquids in
bottles for easier dilution.
3. this is just an observation, even roughed up most watercolor paper
retains its strength. I use alot of Japanese papers and they survive all
the painting and xeroxing that I subject them to.
Good luck
Emily Martin