? about posting - reply to sender/reply to all

This is a general question about posting:
I recently tried replying privately to a post --
very careful about hitting "reply to sender" vs.
"reply to all" -- and the message was posted to
the list.
On experimenting with the reply function on my
program I am finding that on some (not all) of the
addresses "reply to sender" comes up as:

"The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting"--
which seems to go to the list.

"Reply to All" comes up as:
"BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU"--
which would also go to the list.

Can someone help me figure this out? A reply to
the list might be helpful, as I think from different
posts I'm reading that others might be having the
same problem.
Many thanks
Deborah (dkj)