Old photographs

A gentleman just dropped about 10 large old photographs off at our shop,
dating back to about World War I. (Pictures of regiments, etc.) They are
all tightly rolled and somewhat brittle. Is there a good way to flatten
them out? Some other recommended method of conservation?
        On an unrelated note, how does one check the pH of paper? I have
an "Abbey" pH pen which works for light colored papers, but seems pretty
basic (no pun intended). Are pH indicator strips useful? How are they
used?