Organizing a small library

I have been casually collecting books on and about
typography/typesetting/typefounding for a long time (about 30 years).
This summer I carefully entered the titles into a database and did a
sort by author and diligently shelved my type books by author (I have
about 2,000 typographic titles). Well...it doesn't function too well. I
can't seem to find what I am looking for because I don't remember the
author. I seem to find a book by what it looks or feels like. (It's like
having a messy desk...but you know exactly where something is...until
you look for it!) So I am starting to group books again and the library
is becoming disorderly...again. Any suggestions about organizing small
collections like mine.