Re: Aluminum Pots for cooking

The only health reason I've ever heard was a possible link to Alzheimers.  Don't
know if this has been proven or debunked.

Now I'm curious about the papermaking part.

Subject: Aluminum Pots for cooking
Author:  "The Book Arts: binding; typography; collecting"
<BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> at Internet
Date:    9/11/97 9:16 AM

Hi everyone, through the dust clouds I thought I might post this question.

I have read in a couple of papermaking books that when cooking fibres, do
not use an aluminum pot.  I am wondering if anyone knows why - is there a
chemical reaction to the alkali used to break down the fibre or what?

I have two pots provided in our apt. and both are aluminum.  I have only
used both of them once because I read somewhere that we should not cook in
them due to health reasons - cancer causing?  Can anyone verify if this is
true or not - I know it's a little off the topic, but they are kinda related
to papermaking aren't they?

Unfortunately, here on this tiny island in the Caribbean, there seems to be
no other type of large pots available - I have searched for stainless steel
or enamel and have come up hands empty.  I think it will be only one of many
challenges to start making paper here....

Thanks in advance for any contributions on this one.

Colette Vosberg
Dominica, W.I.
Colette Johnson-Vosberg