Re: Aluminum Pots for cooking

I can testify first hand about caustic sods and aluminum pots--don't do it.
As a very young science teacher (30 years ago) I tried making soap in an
aluminum pot in my class. Luckily I killed no one. Soap making involves the
use of lye and some preparation of pulp also involves lye or soda ash. Lye
and soda ash react with the aluminum pot--quite vigorously. I had bubbling,
spurting, fumes and a good lesson in checking what you are doing before you
do it. I now use a stainless steel pot for cooking fibers with soda ash and
it seems to work OK.