Re: out of square

At 10:33 AM 9/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for books that are out of
>square--the kind that if you lay them on the table and look at the bottom
>of the textblock you see a dramatic parallelogram instead of a
>rectangle.  I'm working with ordinary public library books here, not
>treasures from another century.  I've tried suggesting to every other
>patron that they read the book back to front, but I haven't gotten any
>takers...   Leaving them in a press with the distortion going the
>opposite way doesn't seem to fix it.
>
>Joyce
>Petersburg Public Library
>Alaska

If they're not badly out of square, and since we're not talking about
highly valuable books, start at the back of the volume and turn in by about
20-30 pages.  Rub along the gutter, as though breaking in a new stiff
binding (again, only of innexpensive, not-to-be-saved-for-centuries books).
 Work back through, every 20-30 pages.  This often works by relaxing the
spine, unless the block is seriously warped.

Susan Ravdin
Assistant
Special Collections
Bowdoin College Library