Re: Aesthetic Margin Size

I agree that Tschichold, Wilson, and Bringhurst are all excellent
references for determining an aesthetic margin size; but ultimately, the
best way to determine what works in book design is simply to "look" at it.
Also, look at existing books of similar sizes--beautifully designed ones
and ones that are not. The "right" margin dimensions will be very apparent.
Aesthetics are a deeply personal thing. Tschichold's formula can guide you,
but the proof is always in how it looks to you as designer--and ultimately,
to the reader.

Other factors, too, come into play, such as how you intend to bind the
book. Again, I think the solution is to "look" at what works and what does
not.

Greg Britton
Round River Press
Madison, Wisconsin