Tschichold

I found an article, called "Consistent Correlation between Book Page and
Type Area," that includes lots of formulas & diagrams.  It's in a volume
of Jan Tschichold's writings called _The Form of the Book:  Essays on the
Morality of Good Design_, published by Hartley & Marks (Washington &
Vancouver, 1991).  Good luck & e-mail me if you have trouble finding it.

Karen Schiff