Re: Aesthetic Margin Size

At 09:34 AM 9/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I agree that Tschichold, Wilson, and Bringhurst are all excellent
>references for determining an aesthetic margin size; but ultimately, the
>best way to determine what works in book design is simply to "look" at it.

Every time I LOOK at The Kelmscott Chaucer I get a headache!  But it is
still great!  Buffalo is lucky to have two public copies (one vellum and
one paper)  The paper copy feels WONDERFUL, just like new currency paper by
Crane.  The 1958 World Publishing Co. facsimile edition has the look of the
orignial but not the feel.  Worth owning for $100-125 it should cost.

Best,

      M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
     Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                           ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu

       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors