Re: San Francisco

Dear Ms. Casper:

I saw your note on Book Arts-L regarding your upcoming visit to San Francisco.
There is certainly much to see in the way of book arts here in the Bay Area
and the SF Center for the Book is a good place to visit. You will also want
to stop by the new SF Public Library and visit the Book Arts and Special
Collections Center. We house two major collections directly related to book
arts, printing, etc. These are the Grabhorn Printing Collection, named for
Robert Grabhorn of the Grabhorn Press, and the Harrison Calligraphy Collec-
tion, named for Richard Harrison, a fine calligrapher in his own right.

The Grabhorn Collection comprises about 10,000 volumes covering aspects of
the traditional letterpress book from the 15th century to the present day.
We have a number of incunabula, a very strong collection of type specimen
books and printers' manuals going back to the 17th century, and modern fine
press and private press books from about 300 different presses, ranging from
Kelmscott to presses currently active. In addition, there is a huge collection
of ephemera from a large number of presses.

The Harrison Collection focuses mainly on 20th century western calligraphy
and includes work of many well-known scribes from Marie Angel to Hermann
Zapf. The collection houses over 1000 pieces of original calligraphy and
lettering, as well as a reference collection of 700-800 books.

All of this material is available to anyone who visits the Center and is
readily accessible. It is here to be used and enjoyed and I encourage to
come by when you are in town. We are closed on Mondays, but open Tuesday
through Thursday from 10:00 to 6:00, Friday from 11:00 to 5:00, Saturday
from 9:00 to 5:00, and Sunday from Noon to 5:00. Our phone number is
(415) 557-4560.

If you (or anyone else who reads this message) would like more information
on the wonderful collections we have here, please contact me off-list.

Sincerely yours,

Asa Peavy, Program Manager
Book Arts and Special Collections Center
San Francisco Public Library