Date:          Fri, 03 Oct 1997 07:51:00
To:            securma@xs4all.nl
Subject:       Re: Curse puts fear of God into thieving clerics

At 07:09 AM 10/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>A 'must read' for the internet book community!
>Ton Cremers
>
>Curse puts fear of God into thieving clerics

What exactly is the point of this posting, Mr. Cremers? I see no grins or
other indications that it is not meant seriously so I assume you intend it
as a real warning.
None of us likes a book thief, but is it appropriate to brand the
entire clergy--all of whom at one time or many times are customers of
religious book stores and without whom the religious book business
would suffer?  Is it reasonable to assume (as the headline above)
that all book thefts from religious book stores are by clergy? I have
no doubt that there are clergy who steal or have stolen books and I
do not defend clergy as saints but the implication of your "must
read" posting that clerics are more prone to stealing than other
people is offensive.
As a Presbyterian minister, must I now conceal my identity when I
enter a book store so as to avoid coming under immediate suspicion
from some book seller who has seen your diatribe?
--------end of forwarded message------------

I sincerely hope nobody else was offended. If so, please do accept my
apologies!

Ton Cremers

----
The Museum Security Network