Re: (Fwd) Re: Curse puts fear of God into thieving cleri

There is an amusing little book by Marc Drogin entitled "Anathema!
Medieval Scribes and the History of Book Curses."  I suggest the
offended party step back and read this tract.  As books were VERY
precious a long while ago, most monkish libraries were loath to  loan
books for fear that they would never come back.  (Most of the thieves
were probably other clergy, as precious few others could read.)
Experience lead them to inscribe their hard-written volumes with
anathema to strike terror into the hearts of potential but hopefully
god-fearing and damnation-fearing thieves, anathema similar to the
one Ton reproduced for our enjoyment.  Afterall, it came out of a
newspaper!  Can we really believe the story?  Certainly the reporter
embellished it because he has a fear of clergy.  (Wink! Wink! Nudge!
Nudge! Say no more! Say no More!)

Anathema are simply attempts at preservation of  the collections.
Certainly, a book seller has the right to protect his investment from all
manner of thieves, whether of the cloth or the balaclava.

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Library
One Washington Road