5,000 volume Everglades National Park library in poor condition.

Story in Miami Herald about the 5,000 volume Everglades National Park
library.
Full story:
http://www.herald.com,
or let me know and I will send it to you by e-mail.
Ton Cremers.
cremers@xs4all.nl

"Roaches, silverfish and humidity are eating into leather-bound,
gold-leaf copies of volume one, book one of The Auk, first printed in
1884 by the American Ornithologists' Union. A beautifully colored
print of a great white heron, done in 1832 by John James Audubon with
Key West in the background, is kept in a locked steel drawer in a room
with a double-padlocked, jail-cell door. Original journals, papers and
reports by long-dead researchers are stacked about. Some are
undocumented, possibly lost, easily removed. All of it belongs to you.
You just don't know it. Or even about it. Chances of seeing it?
Remote. Hidden away in two research buildings at Everglades National
Park, far from the general public, are twin treasures worth more than
a pirate's hoard: a darkened, locked museum and a defunct library.
Both contain a wealth of historic and scientific material that is only
rarely seen, despite being 10 miles southwest of  Homestead-Florida
City. One building, the library, is not climate-controlled. No one
knows for sure what it contains. It was last inventoried in 1976. Then
it held more than 5,000 volumes, 10,000 documents and 75 periodical
titles. Shelves are covered in plastic sheets today. Both buildings,
including the museum with some 500,000 archaeological and natural
history objects from South Florida's four national parks, were badly
damaged in 1992 by Hurricane Andrew. No staff librarian has been
employed since the late 1970s."
---------------------------

For full story:
http://www.herald.com
or let me know and I will send it to you by e-mail.
TC

----
The Museum Security Network
http://museum-security.org/