Re: Pasting down endpapers

        Sorry to kick this dead horse just one more time but I just
couldn't resist getting my 2 cents in.  This endpaper swelling is a
classic nuisance I'm sure most of us have had to grapple with when we
were new to the craft, if my own experience is the norm.
        What I would like to do is use it as an example of how to
approach any problem in bookbinding...   The advice I've seen so
far, while accurate and hopefully of some help, is all based on the
assumption of one or another set of circumstances, and as already
mentioned, there are many possible right answers.
        I believe that once you understand the root cause of the
difficulty, you can often figure out solutions that are best adapted for
your reality.
        In this case, the paper fibers of the endpapers are quite stable
until someone comes along and puts water (adhesive) on them, at which
point they begin to absorb the moisture and swell accordingly, thereby
distorting their original physical dimensions.
        O.K., so our job is to diminish this cause and effect as much
as possible.  How?  Well, this absorption process takes time so we need
to slow down the absorption rate and/or speed up the casing-in operation.
We could slow absorption down by: using a heavier paper; using a paper
with more sizing; less moisture in the adhesive, etc.
In addition, we can speed up the whole operation by: using an adhesive
applicator with a larger surface area (i.e. 2 1/2 - 3" good quality paint
brush); decreasing the amount of "drag" in the adhesive (yup, that usually
means adding *more* moisture / not less); and probably most effective -
practice with your technique - the speed will come.
        Now, all of the above are just suggestions, which is really the
point of this note.   You know best what your materials, equipment, skills,
etc. are and if you understand the basics of the problem, you may well
come up with innovative, new solutions that work best for You.
        By the way, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the closely related
"curl" problem yet.   This one still bugs me Alot as I use a wide variety
of art papers (most of which seem never to have been intended for binding).
I never move faster than when I am trying to beat the clock pasting some
of those up.
        I will close by saying how pleased I am to be associated with a
group that so readily and generously responded to this thread.

Regards,
Michael Keller   -   bookbinder

Net-Tamer V 1.09.2  - Registered