Children's books

On a topic related-to-but-different-from the recent thread, I'd like to ask
a question on behalf of a friend who's written three children's books he
wants to publish. Is there anyone here who'd be able to give him some
advice on getting a children's book published - e.g. format, length, how to
go about approaching publishers, etc.? Or is there another mailing list
that deals with this topic more specifically? Please write to me directly,
since this is not on Book Arts List turf.

Thanks,

Martha Little