Re: Reading up-side-down

>Hi everyone,
>
>Reading written literature in a normal manner doesn't cause
>anyone to pay you any attention, does it?  Now, if you were
>to turn the page around, so the type is up-side-down to your
>eyes and you would begin reading, would that cause a stir
>among your peers?  Perhaps this method of reading is more
>commonplace than I realize?  Anyone care to comment on this
>rather odd way of reading.
>
>Thanks, Frank

This is a strange question!

In what context are you asking this, may I ask, out of curiosity
of course.

One group of people who have to do this, at least the backwards
part are typographers and any one setting type, such as finishers
setting lines of type to stamp on spines or covers of books.  But
I suspect this skill isn't as widely practiced as it once was
with the advent of computer generated type.  Another lost art, as
esoteric as it may be!

Eric

* Eric Alstrom        *
* Athens, Ohio        *
* ealstrom1@ohiou.edu *

... and it is remarkable, thinks Russ, how much earthly
disturbance, how much summer and dust the mind can manage
to order up from a single Latin letter lying flat.

                        Don DeLillo, Underworld (1997)