Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 8 Oct 1997 to 9 Oct 1997

Original question:<<I am looking for a source of clay-coated papers for
endsheet
restoration/replacement on books from 1880s-90s.  Blacks, blues, browns,
greens>> Can anyone suggest any sources?

I experienced the same problem a year ago. I needed to replace the front
endsheet of an 1879 book. As much as I tried, I could not find anyone who
carried such a paper. My only recourse was to make my own? I started with a
paper that was appropriate -- Mohawk Superfine was my choice. After wetting
the paper, I applied a diluted acrylic artists paint -- a saturated chocolate
brown -- with a sponge brush. The results were quite satisfactory. In fact,
some of the color (a light brown)  bled thru the paper, giving an aged
appearance to the reverse. In some ways, this is similar to making paste
papers.
Good Luck,
Bill Minter