Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 8 Oct 1997 to 9 Oct 1997

I am no expert, however, I do recall from painting class (twenty plus
years ago) that latex paints (at least from that point in time) do not
hold up nearly as long as oil based paints.  Of course this was
regarding the comparison of oils on canvas primed with rabbits' skin
glue vs. latex on canvas primed with latex gesso.  I don't know what
the results are with paper.  We were taught that the oil based method
could last more than 100 years, and that the latex method was good for
maybe 30 years.

As a hobby printer I am constantly trying to impress (no pun) upon
people why they might want keepsake announcements and invitations
printed letterpress as opposed to ink jet or laser.

Alison Hardage