Book restoration

About a year ago I was asked to repair an old book (Essai D'Anthropologie
et d'Hygiene, avec planches, published Bruxelles, 1850.  Imprimerie et
Lithographie de J. Vanbuggenhoudt).  I retained as much of the original as
I could.The main repairs were replacing missing parts of the spine, and
making leather corners as the corners of the original paper half binding
had been damaged beyond repair.  The paper cover was retouched with
matching colour  and lightly polished; edges of the block sanded to remove
some of the grime; torn plates repaired, and new silk head bands made.  The
gold tooling of the title and decoration on the false raised bands was very
faint and no attempt was made to restore it. (My teacher thought I had done
a good job.)

The sum total of all this is - the client is disappointed!  He would like
the tooling restored.  Without the same fonts etc. how could this be done?
Should I have completely replaced the spine and paper covered boards, with
something similar?I understand the current thinking on restoration is to
save whatever can be saved.  Is this correct? Does anyone know what the
value of this particular publication?

I would be grateful to hear from members of the list concerning this vexing
problem.  (I still have the book!)

Vi Wilson
WILSON   rondelay@onthenet.com.au