Re: Book restoration

Looking at this again, I think that this restorer is asking all the wrong
questions, at the wrong time,  of all the wrong people.
Bookbinding and the restoration of books is  the business of an artisan. This
binder says he/she is working for a Client. This example is a non business
scenario in every way, and reflects the inexperience and poor judgement of a
student who has not learned the business end of the craft. It is however, one
painful way to learn. Sorry about that, but this is an E-rap on the knuckles.
It is essential that prior to the repair or restoration of any book for any
client, indeed, any object of any type, an antique, a car, etc., a statement
of the work to be performed should be written and an estimate of time and cost
must be given in writing. Without this, both the buyer and the binder are in
serious trouble. It is simple enough to do this, in very few words, and to put
it on the receipt for goods received that you give to the client. If you can
not do this, you should not start to do the work or accept the commission. As
a client, if you do not receive this, you should never authorize the work.

Consider it part of your education. Good luck.

Art Rubino
Numismatic & Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
Antiquarian Book Sellers
P.O. Box 9712
Santa Fe, NM 87504  USA
Phone  505 982 8792
Fax      505 982 0291
Email  Art_Rubino@msn.com

We are always interested in buying fine Numismatic & Philatelic books.

Sometimes a new but old looking morocco label can help.

----------
From:   The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting on behalf of Vi Wilson
Subject:        Book restoration

About a year ago I was asked to repair an old book (Essai D'Anthropologie
et d'Hygiene, avec planches, published Bruxelles, 1850.  Imprimerie et
Lithographie de J. Vanbuggenhoudt).  I retained as much of the original as
I could.The main repairs were replacing missing parts of the spine, and
making leather corners as the corners of the original paper half binding
had been damaged beyond repair.  The paper cover was retouched with
matching colour  and lightly polished; edges of the block sanded to remove
some of the grime; torn plates repaired, and new silk head bands made.  The
gold tooling of the title and decoration on the false raised bands was very
faint and no attempt was made to restore it. (My teacher thought I had done
a good job.)

The sum total of all this is - the client is disappointed!  He would like
the tooling restored.  Without the same fonts etc. how could this be done?
Should I have completely replaced the spine and paper covered boards, with
something similar?I understand the current thinking on restoration is to
save whatever can be saved.  Is this correct? Does anyone know what the
value of this particular publication?

I would be grateful to hear from members of the list concerning this vexing
problem.  (I still have the book!)

Vi Wilson
WILSON   rondelay@onthenet.com.au