Re: office copy presses

Yes, the copy press research and subsequent book is being done by Mr. Bill
Streeter, 78 Masonic St., Northampton, MA 01060. USA. phone (413) 584-2544.

I happened to have had the opportunity to visit with him just ten days ago
when I was travelling throughout New England with a leather tannery owner,
Mr. Roger Barlee of J. Hewit and Sons, Edinburgh Scotland.  Bill Streeter
showed us his extensive collection of copy presses, which look deceivingly
like little nipping presses but are NOT quite the same thing, particularly in
the amount of daylight each of them have.  Copy presses were used to make
copies of letters before the advent of carbon paper.  If I understood Bill
correctly, correspondence was written in a special "copy book" with special
paper that transferred the writing on the underneath of one page to the
surface of the second sheet when 'pressed in the copy press'.  Sorry I can't
recall what it was that the special papers were treated with to accomplish
this, but you get the idea.  If you have such a press (or a book full of such
letter copies) he will be thrilled to hear from you.

Karen L. Crisalli/Bookbinder's Warehouse