Re: GOLD STAMPING QUERY

>Date:    Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:26:01 -0400
>From:    phil block <pblock@ICP.EDU>
>Subject: GOLD STAMPING QUERY
>
>GOLD STAMPING QUERY=20
>
>Does anyone have a source for 23K genuine gold foil.  A number of NYC
>binders have been using Swift=92s gold foil, ordered through Ernie
>Schaefer, and over the past year or so have not been very satisfied.=20
>This gold foil does not give a clean release, so, regardless of
>temperature, pressure and dwell, the stamped letters appear fuzzy.  Upon
>examination, we notice that the letter wells have gold adhered to the
>sides, which causes this fuzzy appearance.  (It should be noted that we
>use both Kensol and Kwik Print presses and both service and new brass
>type.)
>
>We don=92t recall this problem using gold foil from the same supplier
>purchased 5 or 6 years ago.  While finishers have always used a pointed
>stick to remove some of the unwanted gold residue, the problem we are
>now experiencing is too excessive to achieve a crisp, clean stamping and
>would require far too much time to remove by scratching. =20
>
>1.      Has anyone else experienced these problems? =20
>2.      Does anyone have a different source or manufacturer for real gold
>foil?
>3.      Any tips or suggestions that could solve our problem ?

BookLab has used LK58N Genuine Gold foil from Kurz-Hastings, Inc. in
Philadelphia for years. The foil is actually from Kurz of Germany and
imported for sale in the US by Kurz-Hastings. The phone number is (215)
632-2300. The last time I compared prices, the Kurz foil was also cheaper
than the Swift foil.

The foil is a 23K plated gold foil on a mylar base. It is very clean
cutting and has a bright finish. We set our equipment at about 250 degrees.
We have had success stamping from Ludlow slugs, magnesium, copper and brass
dies onto cloth, paper, leather, mylar, and etc.

Check it out.

Craig Jensen, President
BookLab, Inc.
1606 Headway Circle