Re: Distressed Leather

>Can anyone suggest a good way to make new leather look old?
>I have a client that wants a book made to look old/medieval.
>Most likely I will be using brown calfskin.

In the past using a light brown or tan leather and then using dyes to
achieve the desired look has worked.  Using different objects (i.e. sponge,
rag, etc.) you can build or create an antique or worn look.  It gives the
impression that the book has undergone and uneven, or more natural, aging
process than would be achieved by simply dying the whole piece of leather
darker by submersion.

"We cannot extend the mastery of government over the daily life of a people
without somewhere making it master of people's souls and thoughts.  That is
going on today."

                                - Herbert Hoover -

Duncan Campbell
<dmc@minn.net>