Re: Spine Titles

In a message dated 97-11-04 03:20:00 EST, Peter wrote:

<< As a compositor in Scotland in the 60s, I did quite a bit of bookwork. All
 the spine titles were set to read from bottom to top. When I asked why (as
 an apprenticeship), I was told 'because it's always done that way'. >>

That's so very Scots it made me laugh!  My maternal grandparents were from
Scotland and that's absolutely how they would have justified it.

All I can say about it is, being right handed, I more naturally tip my head
to the left to read book spines.  Words written from bottom to top along the
spine would be much more comfortable for me to read.  Then again, maybe it's
genetic memory....  :)

-giselle