Guarding folds

Greetings, I am looking for directions for making a simple device for
guarding the folds of leaves in books. It may have been in the GBW
Newsletter, but I can't seem to locate it. This device was made from
board, Mylar, and a fabric used for a hinge. Can someone direct me to
the article about its construction or tell me what fabric was used for
the hinge? It was referred to  as the "Guard-O-Matic"
Bob Nelson