Basic Question on Hard Cover Binding

I am making my first tape bound hard cover book, and have a question which I
cannot answer with my (limited!) reference shelf!  (In particular, I don't
have Smith's Non Adhesive Bookbinding.)

I've sewn my block (8 sign of 4 pages each, commercial standard laser paper)
with tapes, as per the diagrams, and it opens beautifully flat.  My reference
books say that the next step is pasting up the back.  This will be a blank
book to be used as a guest book.

My question--is pasting necessary?  Will it interfere with the book opening
flat?

Many thanks for your help--sorry this is so basic!