Date: Sat, 6 Dec 97 12:43:53 -0800

Subject: Re: Query on 14th century Jury Duty
Sender: ttaylor/Shar////////RFC-822/ttaylor#a#ctc#f#ctc#f#edu@hulaw5
FROM: ttaylor/Shar////////RFC-822/ttaylor#a#ctc#f#ctc#f#edu@hulaw5
TO: H-ALBION@H-NET.MSU.EDU

--openmail-part-060b173a-00000002

Date:              Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:13:57 EST
From:              VKidrick <VKidrick@aol.com>

To the list:

I am currently writing a dissertation on Henry VII's library, and in the
course of my research, I have stumbled across a citation in Graham Pollard's
The Company of Stationers before 1557.  I'm hoping someone better versed in
14th century legal history could give me insight into this:  Apparently, in
1357, the Mayor and Alderman of the City of London enacted that "the Livery of
writers of court-hand and text illuminators and barbers dwelling in the City
of London should be exempt from serving on Sherriff's inquests."  Can anyone
think of a reason for this exemption--especially for the illuminators?  I can
come up with few logical (well, I think they are logical) reasons for the
exemption of scribes and barbers (I'm assuming this means "barber-surgeons")
Maybe the idea was to eliminate anyone who could possibly have some kind of
professional relationship with the court, and scribes and surgeons could
conceivable have such a connection.  I'm rather at a loss to explain the
exclusion of artists, however.  Anyone have the answer to this?

--openmail-part-060b173a-00000002--

--openmail-part-060b173a-00000001--